Microsoft Access tutorial
Access 2000 - Setting up a Workgroup
When you use Microsoft Access 2000 in a networked environment and want to share access to a database from many computers on the network, you should first set up a Workgroup for the database.
You can do this using the wrkgadm.exe file that can be found in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\1033 folder.
- Locate Wrkgadm.exe
- Launch this file (eg by double-clicking)
- Click the Create button to open the Workgroup Owner Information dialog
Make sure you keep this information available but safe (ie write it down). The entries are case-sensitive, so my workgroup name is not DOGWOOD TREE (for example).
- Click OK to show the Workgroup Information File dialog.
- Type the path and name of your workgroup folder in the Database text box (as below) or use the Browse button to navigate to the folder:
- Click OK to show the confirmation screen. Notice that you can change the information if you need to.
- Confirm that the information is correct or change as necessary
- Click OK when you are finished
Your workgroup is now created, and you can continue setting up a shared database.
About the author: Kathi Stait has twelve years experience as a successful database developer, designing and creating databases for small businesses and government bodies. She has experience with Microsoft Access, MySQL, SQL Server and Oracle databases, and has taught database courses for the past five years.